About a month ago, I received a message from fellow Wisconsin foodie, Yollande of Afro Fusion Cuisine, asking if I was interested in testing out a few of their spices and sauces and blogging about my findings. Being that this would be a great way both to experience some new flavors and to spread the word about a great local business, I gladly said yes.
So before we get into my findings, here's a brief summary about Afro Fusion Cuisine:
- Who? Yollande Tchouapi Deacon and staff.
- What? Afro Fusion offers homemade spice blends, sauces, marinades, recipes, publications, crafts, fashion accessories, along with culinary services that all showcase African and Caribbean influences.
- Where? In addition to being available online, products can be found in the greater Milwaukee area. As of recent, Afro Fusion Cuisine products are being sold at Outpost Natural Foods stores, Metcalfe's Market in Wauwatosa, Good Harvest Market in Pewaukee, Cermak Fresh Market, and Sendik's Food Market in New Berlin.
With quite the variety of flavor profiles available, I was curious what I would be given. Well, a few weeks ago the wait was over after finding a package on my doorstep with Yollande's name on it. It contained two of their most popular products:
- Mama Cita All Purpose Seasoning, which is best used on vegetables, tofu, meats, poultry, and seafood, along with
- Mama Deacon Original Jerk Sauce & Marinade, which is best used with dinner starters, crostinis, stir fries, soups and stews, marinades, and dipping sauces.